Monday, August 25, 2008

Release.

I have many conflicting feelings about the man who was my father.
I won't mince words. He wasn't there. I did not know him as a person all that much.
I knew his voice and I knew his broken promises by heart.
But even with all the negative things I, and many others, could say about him, I still loved him.

Shawn McDonnell taught me to be self reliant.
An invaluable life lesson, but one learned the hard way.
Yet and still, I am thankful that he did his part to help bring me into this world,
and I am glad that I got a chance to talk to him before it was too late.
I saw another side, one that was so familiar it was scary.
The side that he gave to me, without even being around.
I just hope I can be a positive part of his legacy.
Maybe I can be one of the few things he did right in his life.

R.I.P. Oct 23, 1964 - August 22, 2008

No comments: